Marie D. Lawrence
Mayor Marie Lawrence was historically appointed Mayor of Winslow Township on March 22, 2022. Prior to her appointment, Mayor Lawrence served on Winslow Township Committee as the Representative of Ward 3 since 2004 and served as Deputy Mayor from 2009-2022. Over the course of her tenure on Winslow Township Committee, she has overseen multiple township entities. Mayor Lawrence is currently Director of Public Safety, Director of Administration, Director of Revenue and Finance, Chairperson of AD HOC Green Committee. She is also a member of the Camden County Mayor’s Association and Camden County Open Space.
Mayor Lawrence is a long time resident of Winslow Township and retired after a long career with Atlantic City Electric. Over her lifetime, she has worn many hats from an OIC life skill instructor; Winslow Township Board of Education; Even Start Program; CCTS; and owned her own Clerical Service. She had the distinguished honor of working for the first African American City Commissioner in Atlantic City. Mayor Lawrence has also served on the Board of Directors of the Philadelphia Youth Orchestra; Board member of the non-profit MEN (Men Empowering Nations) and NEVAS.
Mayor Lawrence has received numerous awards for her service to the community. Including but not limited to:
- John Kerfoot Award, given by the Camden County Democrats for Distinguished Party Service
- Camden County Martin Luther King Medal
- “The Many Faces of the African American Woman's Award” awarded by the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc Theta Kappa Omega Chapter
- Gold Star Award for “Ordinary Women Doing Extraordinary Things”
awarded by The National Hook Up of Black Women Inc.
- Honored by Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc
- Honored by the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Garden City Alumnae Chapter at the Power Tea
Mayor Lawrence is also a member of the Christ Care United Missionary Baptist Church. She has a strong passion and commitment to public service, mentorship and giving back to the community.